Sustainability Resource Guide
Climate change and plastic pollution are catastrophic problems that seem overwhelming at times. We are all responsible for reigning in our environmental impact—in both big and small ways—and there is no time like the present to adopt more sustainable practices and make the switch to zero-waste products and eco-friendly essentials. We’ve gathered everything from binge worthy documentaries, gifts, home goods, and even treats and toys for your furry friend to help you make some zero-waste changes in your home and day-to-day life.
- The Game Changers 2018 documentary film about the benefits of plant-based eating for athletes.
- Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret is a 2014 documentary film which explores the impact of animal agriculture on the environment, and investigates the policies of a few environmental organizations on this issue.
- David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet is a 2020 documentary film through which Attenborough shares first-hand his concern for the current state of the planet due to humanity’s impact on nature and his hopes for the future.
- Chasing Coral is a 2017 American documentary film about a team of divers, scientists and photographers around the world who document the disappearance of coral reefs.
- Our Planet is a British nature documentary series made for Netflix.
- Okja is a 2017 action-adventure film directed by Bong Joon-ho and written by Bong and Jon Ronson, the film is about a young girl who raises a genetically modified “super pig”.
- Before the Flood is a 2016 documentary film about climate change.
- Rotten is an investigative documentary series produced by Zero Point Zero, focusing on corruption in the global food supply chain.
- Down to Earth with Zac Efron is a web documentary series that was released on Netflix on July 10, 2020.It stars Zac Efron and Darin Olien and focuses on themes of travel, life experience, nature, green energy and sustainable living practices.
- The Biggest Little Farm is a 2018 American documentary film. The film profiles the life of Chester and Molly as they acquire and establish themselves on Apricot Lane Farms in Moorpark, California.
- I Am Greta is a 2020 internationally co-produced documentary film directed by Nathan Grossman, following climate change activist Greta Thunberg.
- Planet Earth II is a 2016 British nature documentary series produced by the BBC as a sequel to Planet Earth, which was broadcast in 2006.
- Dark Waters is a 2019 American legal thriller film directed by Todd Haynes and written by Mario Correa and Matthew Michael Carnahan. The story dramatizes Robert Bilott’s case against the chemical manufacturing corporation DuPont after they contaminated a town with unregulated chemicals.
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Sustainable Home by Christine Liu
- The Future We Choose: Surviving the Climate Crisis by Tom Rivett-Carnac and Christiana Figueres
- This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein
- Weather by Jennifer Offill
- The End of Nature by Bill McKibben
- A Terrible Thing to Waste by Harriet A. Washington
- Toxic Communities: Environmental Racism, Industrial Pollution, and Residential Mobility by Dorceta Taylor
- Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson
- No. More. Plastic. by Martin Dorey
Gift Giving List
Finding a great gift is hard enough—but challenging yourself to find an eco-friendly gift that’s as good for the planet as it is for your loved one can be even harder. Sure, you can always gift experiences, like tickets to a show or a cooking class, but if you want a more tangible environmentally friendly gift idea, here are a few suggestions to get you started.
- Repurposed Cotton Sari Robe lounge in lavish style with this luxurious robe made of rich strips of repurposed saris.
- Upcircle Beauty Night Time Skincare Bundle crafted from ingredients upcycled from food products—such as used coffee grounds, fruit pits, and chai spices—to help smooth and soothe skin.
- Maraba Planter Baskets are handmade by artisans in Gitarama, Rwanda who utilize ethical and eco-friendly methods to produce the highest quality, earth-friendly goods.
- Tierra Upcycled Blanket is a vibrant, modern blanket handwoven in Mexico using upcycled yarn from the garment industry.
- Earthlove Seasonal Subscription Box offers a selection of eco-friendly beauty, wellness, clothing, home, and food items that suit the season and your gift recipient—with fully vegan options available, too.
- Sodastream Terra Sparkling Water Maker turns ordinary tap water into soda or sparkling seltzer in reusable bottles—and helps keep thousands of plastic bottles out of environment.
- Una Reclaimed Gold Necklace is a hand-carved, one-of-a-kind necklace crafted from reclaimed silver plated with gold, and set with an ethically sourced white sapphire.
- Hyggee Life Candles are eco-friendly, zero waste coconut wax candles that are hand poured into cool containers that can be reused as a succulent or herb planter.
- Bee Happy Baby Gift Basket provides a selection of fair-trade, organic, and all-natural toys perfect for a little one—and Our Green House donates 5 percent of the proceeds from each sale to a charity that helps improve maternity and childbirth care for mothers worldwide.
- August Sage Xela Emerald Glass Set is handblown glassware made with recycled glass by artisans in the Cantel village in the Guatemala region of Quetzaltenango—all made exclusively in a fair trade environment. The artisan studio provides living wages, insurance, education and training for glassblowers and families. With a solid base in an ombre emerald green, it’s a casual sipper for everyday drinks from sparkling lemonade to old fashions.
- Finding more eco-friendly tech gifts can be a challenge, but these Headphones from House of Marley provide high-quality sound with planet-friendly materials. The headphones are crafted from FSC-certified wood, recyclable aluminum, and REWIND fabric, which is a blend of reclaimed organic cotton, reclaimed hemp, and recycled PET.
Sustainable Home Goods
Shop our curated collection of sustainable living products.
- Marley’s Monsters UNpaper Towels washable and reusable, making them the perfect swap for disposable paper towels. And bold and graphic prints add a little fun to your daily household chores.
- Friendsheep Eco Dryer Balls naturally soften and fluff your laundry eliminating the need for single-use dryer sheets and liquid fabric softeners. Toxin free and plastic free, they help reduce drying time by 20% to 40% while eliminating wrinkles and static cling.
- NetZero Co offers non-toxic lifestyle products made with sustainable materials, designed to last and propel low-waste living.
- Bee’s Wrap Food Storage Wraps are perfect for keeping food fresh, covering leftovers, and packing snacks – all without plastic. Reusable for a year or longer, Bee’s Wrap can be composted or used as a fire starter when it loses its grip.
- CoffeeSock creates reusable cotton filters for a wide variety of coffee brewers from pour over to drip to traditional cones and baskets of various sizes.
- Coyuchi and Boll & Branch use only 100% organic fibers and hold their bedding, towels, sheets, duvet covers to the strictest standards of environmental and social responsibility.
- Guzzini Recycled Tierra Nested Serving Bowls transform water bottles into these stylish plastic bowls that are pretty enough for serving—and heavy duty enough to stand up to all of your baking and cooking prepwork.
- The Silicone Kitchen Baking Mats are made from durable, food-grade silicone that can be reused over and over. The flexible baking mats feature a nonstick surface that allows for effortless food removal, no extra greasing needed. It’s the perfect eco-friendly alternative to single-use parchment paper, non-stick spray, and aluminum foil.
- The reBoard Cutting Board repurposes kitchen plastic scraps into these colorful, BPA-free cutting boards, that look gorgeous enough for serving, too. (Bonus: Half of all profits go to charities providing food and employment opportunities.)
- Silicone Food Huggers come in a variety of sizes (and colors) of BPA-free silicone to snugly seal cut fruits and vegetables—think half of a lemon or onion—without single-use cling wrap, bags or foil.
Sustainable Bath and Body
- Bite Toothpaste Bits are sustainable, dissolvable tooth paste tablets that will help you kick the plastic tube for good.
- Native Deodorant Sticks provide the same naturally-derived and effective Native Deodorant you love, in plastic free packaging made from paperboard sourced from responsibly managed forests.
- Elate Cosmetics creates safe, effective beauty products using cruelty-free ingredients, ethical marketing, and sustainable practices. With a goal of becoming the first waste free cosmetic company, their products offer innovative solutions to the otherwise wasteful practices of the beauty industry.
- Shampoo & Conditioner Bar Bundles from EcoRoots were made as an alternative to the 80 billion plastic shampoo and conditioner bottles thrown out globally every year. Sustainability is at the heart of everything they do—their ingredients are cruelty free and vegan, palm oil free, ethically and fairly sourced, and are 100% plastic-free.
- Bamboo Cotton Rounds are a low-waste and economical alternative to their disposable counterparts. Apply toner, remove make up, exfoliate, take off nail polish – the possibilities are endless!
- Jungle Culture Safety Razors allow you to opt out of the plastic cycle with these luxe single-bladed razors, which are easier on the planet and on your skin—reducing the odds of developing razor burn and razor bumps.
- The Humble Co Floss Picks are made with pant-based, vegan materials with a double floss string that leaves your mouth so fresh and so clean.
- Essence of Life Organics Bamboo Bandages are made with sustainable and organically-grown bamboo; these sterile bandages are hypoallergenic, plastic free, and latex free and 100% compostable after use.
- Rael Period Care improves women’s lives through holistic feminine care – innovative, natural, and effective solutions for all aspects of her cycle and life.
- Ethique Body Moisturizing Sticks are made with delish natural ingredients, in clever little sticks with none of the bottles. Packed in a handy plastic-free compostable tube.
Sustainable Clothing and Fashion
- tentree makes Earth-First essentials using sustainable materials such as TENCEL, recycled polyester, organic cotton, and hemp. Every time you purchase an item, tentree plants 10 trees. tentree is proud to be a certified B-Corporation and ethically crafts their clothing around the world.
- Cariuma Sneakers are good-looking, crazy comfy and consciously made.
- Moore & Giles Reclaimed Messenger Bag will be a beloved daily essential—and it’s crafted from leather that was left at an Italian tannery due to scars and other imperfections in the material.
- Pact is an apparel brand born out of Boulder, Colorado specializing in quality basics, all of which are made ethically in Fair Trade Certified factories with 100 percent organic cotton. If you’re in the market for undergarments, Pact is the place to shop.
- Arvin Goods Casual Twisted Socks are a three-color mix of recycled cotton that will blend perfectly into any wardrobe.
- Herschel Survey II Backpack is specifically made for your daily commute to hold all things important—phone, laptop, charger, lunch. It’s durable, waterproof shell is made from 100% recycled materials.
- Alta Andina creates sustainable leather home goods that are sure to make a statement in your pocket, or on a counter. From potholders, to catch-all trays to journal covers, they make something for everyone.
- United By Blue, a certified B Corp, has a simple philosophy: As an outdoor brand, it wants to do what it can to protect our planet. With every product sold, the company removes one pound of trash from the ocean and waterways, so you can feel good knowing you’re investing in durable, sustainable apparel while supporting eco-friendly practices
- Surfer Kelly Slater teamed up with designer John Moore to create Outerknown. Making garments in Peru, Mexico, and China, the brand is committed to the Fair Labor guidelines, building partnerships with suppliers worldwide, and taking every part of the supply chain into account when it comes to its environmental footprint.
- Nudie Jeans a Swedish denim brand is transparent about every detail in the production of its jeans, including the origins and suppliers of all of its raw materials, the yarn and fabric process, and every step in manufacturing and shipping — all with the goal of becoming “the most sustainable denim company.”
- ZEAL Optics Aspen Sunglasses crafted from recycled plastic and grass combine unrivaled durability and sustainability with timeless styling, so you won’t miss a beat.
- prAna is focused on sustainable clothes using from organic cotton and hemp materials made in Fair Trade certified factories.
- Andie Swimwear provides a fit without worry for your most active of beach or pool days. Made with recycled nylon, these eco-friendly suits will quickly become a new favorite.
- Rothy’s shoes are comfortable, fashionable and best of all… made with a signature thread spun from plastic bottles! Wait, did we mention they are machine washable too?
- With workout wear from Girlfriend Collective you won’t have to sweat the plastic crisis. Almost all synthetic fabrics are made from plastics, but Girlfriend uses 100% post-consumer recycled bottles to make theirs sustainable and unique. Their leggings, tops and bras are all made from recycled materials and sent in recycled and recyclable packaging (so don’t throw it away!)
- Amour Vert makes cozy sleep and lounge wear from low-impact fabrics. They also develop zero-waste designs and work directly with mills to develop their own fabrics that are sustainable, soft, and stand the test of time. To make it even better, the garments are almost 100% made in America, and their shipping materials use recycled or compostable materials.
- Nisolo doesn’t just mean they are simply sustainable in materials or because their products can last a lifetime… they are also dedicated to paying their workers a live-able wage! You can feel good about purchasing these fashionable items with a 0% Net Carbon impact promise and their elevated company transparency.
- Knickeys lets you give old undies new life… recycled, of course! Send an old pair into their recycling system and they’ll turn your ready-to-retire intimates into new materials like insulation, carpet padding and furniture batting. They’ll take leggings, bras, even kid’s and men’s wear as well. 95% of textiles can be recycled and that can all start with you and your underwear drawer — plus you’ll get a pair of organic cotton undies while you’re at it!
- GUNAS has the goods: from small clutches and wristlets to everything-but-the-kitchen-sink holding bucket bags and satchels. They are beautiful, stylish and best of all, vegan and ethically sourced. Female owned.
- The Good Tee is a sustainable clothing brand focusing on high quality Fairtrade Certified organic cotton t-shirts. This socially responsible brand allows ethical shoppers to easily learn about the transparent supply chain and trace the manufacturing process through videos and resources highlighting The Good Tee’s partner suppliers and the materials used.
Sustainable Pet Goods
- Little Pine Pet creates up-cycled dog leashes made out of old climbing rope, and ski jackets. These durable and enviro-friendly leashes are perfect for your daily walks, or big hike out.
- Flush Doggy has reinvented the standard for your pets waste on the planet. These poop bags are flushable, and biodegradable. Just drop the bag into the toilet and watch the water solvable material degrade in front of you.
- Frisco Silicone Pet Food Can Covers keep leftover wet pet food fresh in the fridge. Each silicone cover adapts to three different lid sizes, so you don’t have to hunt for different covers for small and large cans. Toss them on the top rack of the dishwasher for easy cleanup.
- Harry Barker recycled and sustainable toys, food, leashes, and other accessories….did we mention they have all natural shampoos and conditioners for your pup? Treat your furry friend and yourself to products that are good for the environment and look good in your home.
- The Molly Mutt Dog Bed allows you to stuff a durable cover with old pillows, t-shirts, toys and anything else that might wind up in a landfill! Plus, with so many cover designs there’s surely one to match your pups personality.
- Honest Pet Products are all natural pet toys and accessories that are entirely composed of sustainable wool and hemp. Did we mention their products are biodegradable?!
- Open Farm uses only animal proteins from humane, ethical animal farms through partnership with Certified Humane and Global Animal Partnership, and non-GMO vegetables. Plus, Open Farm is one of the few companies with a 10-year roadmap towards reducing carbon emissions, all while implementing an emission offset program that helps protect local ecosystems. They have also partnered with TerraCycle to create the very first North American pet food bag recycling program.
- Fair Trade Cat Basket provides a cozy place where your cat can curl up and sleep. It’s 100% Fair Trade certified, ethically sourced, and authentically handmade. Plus, the pillow cover is removable and washable, which makes it easy to keep it clean.
- Chippin’s Natural Pet Treats are one of the most eco friendly dog food treats around to satisfy your dog’s hunger—or just to reward those good-boy-moments by using vet-formulated nutrition, premium ingredients, and hypoallergenic sustainable proteins like spirulina and crickets (which are practically zero impact, and sustainably sourced from a USA family farm).
- World’s Best Cat Litter is a non-clay, biodegradable litter made from whole-kernel corn. This means it contains no harmful chemicals and no artificial perfumes, making it people, pet, and planet-friendly. It’s lightweight and naturally free of silica dust. Best of all, because it’s quick clumping for easy scooping, it still offers all of the conveniences of traditional cat litter.
- Wild One Bowl Kit includes two stainless steel bowls (that can be personalized) with silicone non-slip bottom to protect your floors and prevent the bowl from sliding while your pet eats. They’re also dishwasher safe; highly important since regularly cleaning your pet food bowls is a key way to prevent harmful bacteria growth.